Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Who are we?

Welcome to the introductory part of our ESOL sessions.

We will spend time looking at speaking and getting fluent in English mostly but we will try to include other activities that may include other skills of reading, listening and writing also.

Personal questionnaire:

Use the following questionnaire to write an introduction about yourself. Then we will go around telling the class about ourselves.

My name is
I like to be called
I am originally from
I was born on
My star sign is
One of my earliest memories is
The place I have lived are
In my family there are
An exciting event in my life was
A funny event in my life was
A sad event in my life was
An injury or accident I have had was

My Sample

My name is Seema.
I like to be called Sima.
I am originally from Suva in the Fiji Islands.
I was born on the 10th of April.
My star sign is Aries.
One of my earliest memories is praying at our family temple back home.
The places I have lived are Suva, Nasinu and Nausori in Fiji plus Wellington and Auckland in New Zealand.
In my family there are my mum, my dad, my brother, two sisters, my sister-in-law, my brother-in-law, 5 nieces and 1 nephew.
An exciting event in my life was when I jumped off (controlled jump) the Sky Tower. I was so loud that they gave me a free jump.
A funny event in my life was when I fell walking up the stairs to get my Diploma. I am so clumsy.
A sad event in my life was when my uncle passed away last year.
An injury or accident I have had was when I flipped my car on Waipuna Road in Wellington while I was at Victoria University.

Use my sample above to write your own introductions. You will then say it out to us on the Zoom meeting. All the best!

Personal journal entry

Write the answers to the questionnaire below in your notebooks/ journals. Take about 15 minutes. Write in complete sentences rather than in bullet points or note form.

                             I really like:                                                               I don't like:

food (s)
sport
music
colour
thing/ pet
TV show
celebrity
Most of all I love: 
Most of all I hate:

You may want to use the example below to write your sentences:

I really like pizza, dumplings and hangi chicken but I don't like eating pumpkin or fish.
I really like to play board games like Monopoly and Phase 10 but I don't to play like physical sports like rugby.
I love music from Backstreet Boys, Eminem and Six60 but I don't like classical musicians like Bach.

Hint: make sure you look up what these words mean first.

  1. sport
  2. music: bands/ singers/ pop groups
  3. colours
  4. pet
  5. thing/ object
  6. TV show
  7. celebrity











If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section OR use our WhatsApp group.

8 comments:

  1. I really like dumplings, but I don't like BUN
    I really like playing football, but I don't like playing basketball.
    I really like to listen to pop music, but I don't like classical music.
    I really like red colour, but I don't like purple.
    I really like dogs, but I don't like cats.
    I really like to watch international news, but I don't like to watch fashion shows.
    I don't have a particular lying celebrity, but the only person I like and admire is Bruce Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a particular favorite celebrity, but the only person I like and admire is Bruce Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is SHIXIN JIANG I like to call me JOHN I am from China My date of birth 22/01/1986 The constellation is Aquarius

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like beef, I do n’t like chicken, I like climbing mountains, I do n’t like staying at home, I like reading books, I do n’t like watching TV, I like dogs, I do n’t like snakes, I like Hugo books, I like Blue, i don't like white

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is tanguangliang.
    I like to be called Greg.
    I'm originally from China.
    I was born on the 15th of May.
    My star sign is Taurus.
    One of my earliest memories is our family bought a car when I was 7 years old.
    The place I have lived are Dalian in China plus Auckland New Zealand.
    In my family there are my mum my dad my wife my daughter and my son.
    An exciting event in my life was I really like football. I scored the only winning goal in a match.
    A funny event in my life was when I came to New Zealand. I bought the wrong ticket. So in the end I changed a ticket to Auckland New Zealand.
    A sad event in my life was shortly after I arrived in New Zealand, my grandmother died.
    An injury or accident I have had was I injured my finger at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Jiang Shixin,
    I like to call me John,
    I am from China,
    my birthday is January 22, 1986,
    I am Aquarius,
    my earliest memory is when I was 6 years old, my grandfather took me to the beach for fishing , And I succeeded.
    I have a wife and son at home.
    The most exciting thing was on February 2, 2020. When my family first arrived in New Zealand, I received a call from my friend if we were one day late When we arrive, we will not be able to enter New Zealand.
    The most interesting thing is that when my son was 4 years old, I took him to climb the Great Wall. He climbed himself up in the most difficult places. I was very happy.
    The most unfortunate thing was that I was Working in Oakland, my father passed away, I failed to see him last,

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is GuoXi Zhu.
    I
    like to be called GUO XI
    Iam originally from China dalian
    I was born on the 13 the of February.
    My star sing is Aquarius. one of my earliest memory is ,Or ember when I was eight years old played with my partner and was chased the neighbor dog.
    The place I have lived are China.
    My family there are my mother my sister my brother-in-law my nephew my wife my son.
    an exciting event in my life was when my son was born.
    I think a funny event in my life was when my son just walked and watched it in the video.
    I really like dumpling pasta and rice
    I don't like eating yam.
    I like sports to basketball,I Will play basketball on weekends.
    I don't like tennis ,beacause I don't understand
    I like some DJ music especially when driving.
    I like the car I have time to read some car in for mation.
    I like white my first car in China was white be for it was chevrolet cruze.
    Tv show I like racing there is a feeling of pass on from the sound of racing.
    Celebrity LI Bai I like beacause of the ancient proms he wrote.
    Reuniting with my family is my favorite place ,I don't like the noisy placseplacse.

    ReplyDelete